Friday, June 10, 2011

147 - Read to Children!


When I was pregnant with my daughter, Maribeth, I used to read Winnie the Pooh to my belly because I heard that babies get to know the sound of their parents' voices when they are in the womb. I wanted her to hear wonderful words. When my son Kevin came along, we all were regulars at the library. Reading was one of our most fun things to do. It's exciting to know that even if you don't have a lot of money, you can always read! For years, I was the story lady at our local Borders Books and Music, and I loved looking out into a sea of darling and attentive faces all turned up to me.

Can you imagine how thrilled I was to start reading at my grandsons' grade school? I first started reading in Nate's kindergarten class. He's in second grade now, and I still read to his class this past year. Now Andrew is in kindergarten, and I have had the privilege of reading to his class this year, too. I have had so much fun going to the library ahead of time and pre-reading all the books to make sure they are fun enough to be allowed to have the chance to be presented to these wonderful children. I was so happy when Andrew's teacher, Mrs. Semelsberger, took a picture on my last reading day! That's Andrew in the yellow shirt, standing next to me. Hooray for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment