Thursday, March 24, 2011

118 - Flower Bulbs in Action!

This is the time of year for those of us who live in Northern climates to be welcoming Spring. One of my favorite indications of Spring is when the flowering bulbs start to appear. First their leaves, with the promise of more, and then the emergence of color and beauty in crocuses, snow drops, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and more. I have a few hyacinths in my yard that are up and in bud, and I check them regularly to see their progress. The dark purple one is winning the development race so far, but I know the others are not far behind. Even in the middle of Winter, I take comfort in knowing that bulbs, not only in my yard, but in places everywhere, are just biding their time to make their way upwards to dazzle us once again!

This year, I even have an amaryllis bulb in my kitchen. For some reason, her name is Amy, and she is a fast growing pot full of amazement. If I am in the kitchen for any length of time, I can almost see progress in her growth. Every morning, I look forward to seeing what she has achieved overnight. I never had an amaryllis before, and now I know what all the fuss is about.
There is a park in my area that has thousands of daffodils, and it is a festival of yellow fun to visit each year when they are in bloom. Hooray for bulbs, wherever they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment