Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Amy, the Amaryllis



Amy, the amaryllis bulb, has exceeded all my expectations! As a matter of fact, ever since that first leaf started poking out, I have been entranced! It is very exciting to share a space with an amaryllis! My Dad's friend, Ursula, gave him one for Christmas, and it was one of the best presents he ever got -- and he hates presents! Every time I went over to his place, there was new amaryllis excitement going on. Being a plant lover anyway, my Dad was fascinated by this enormous and speedy flowering explosion over the holidays.

So after the holidays, I was happy to find a source for amaryllis bulbs so we could each have one. Every morning is a new adventure. I was away one whole day, and when I came back, there was a whole glorious pink flower where a huge bud had been just hours before. I had to name her Amy -- treating her like any ordinary bulb would have been unthinkable. I have been taking pictures of her development from the very beginning. I know there will come a day when my dear Amy will become dormant. Today I even used a picture of Amy's fabulous blooms for my laptop background. This fun amaryllis bulb, my friend Amy, has really been about "celebrating possibilities". She is a cheerful reminder of hope and enthusiasm. Thank you, Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment